The Week of March 11th, 2012.

“W.R. Lovell, Lawyer, Boone, N.C.” is the caption inscribed on the front of this image. John Preston Arthur’s 1915 work A History of Watauga County refers to the location of “the law offices of Lovell and Fletcher” on a corner in Boone where once stood a residence built by George and Phillip Grubb.

Courtesy Historic Boone

March 13, 1919

“As a Northern Lumberman Sees Timber Conditions in Watauga,” read the headline to an interesting article on forest conservation in this week’s installment of the Watauga Democrat newspaper. “Prof. B.B. Dougherty is in receipt of the following letter from Mr. J.D. Loizeaux, of Plainfield, N.J., who was in Boone some time ago, and is published in full by request of the school,” began the feature. “’I was in your town recently, and was sorry not to have been able to see you for a little while, which I had anticipated. Of course you do not know me at all, and I will simply say that we are lumber dealers, operating in your county to some extent for the past two years, and hope to continue it, increasing the production,” began the letter to the co-founder of what would become Appalachian State University. The correspondent says that, “(t)wo things have stood out before me as being most essential for the welfare of your beautiful mountain county. The first is that the forests are being wantonly depleted without any thought of recuperation. ‘” The letter, as reproduced, does not ever say what the second crucial thing is on Mr. Loizeaux’s mind, but he continues at some length on the matter or deforestation in Watauga County. “Your country, to my judgment, is essentially a forest region most valuable for that purpose, and what has already been put into cultivation certainly can be made very valuable for dairy purposes.  But, to think that this splendid forest land should steadily be denuded, would seem to me most to be regretted.” The letter-writer proposes that “(i)f the timber were cut judiciously, say about 50 per cent of the trees cut down, there would be at least 80 per cent of the timber harvested which is growing on the land, while the remaining 20 per cent embodied in 50 per cent of the trees is almost valueless as far as lumber is concerned. Yet, in 20 or 30 years this young growth opened up to the sunshine and relieved of the larger trees which take up the strength of the ground, will very quickly mature into beautiful lumber again.”

March 9, 1944

“Womanless Wedding Is Sponsored by Lions” reported an article in this week’s newspaper. “A womanless wedding, under the sponsorship of the Boone Lions Club, will be held at the Appalachian Theatre on March 14, with performances both afternoon and night. The majority of the members of the local club are in the cast, and a program of fun and frivolity is promised. The proceeds from the entertainment will go to the Lions Club blind clinic and for the benefit of the crippled children of the county.”

A short news feature headed “Vets Ask for Big Bonus” relayed, from Washington, that “(f)ive veterans’ organizations joined Monday in proposing that the government pay members of the armed forces bonuses up to $3,500 each for home service and $4,500 for overseas service. Seven members of the house introduced legislation to achieve this, submitting identical copies of a bill entitled ‘Veterans’ Adjusted service Pay Act of 1944.” The set of acts which came to be known as the G.I. Bill, providing educational opportunities and resources for ‘Servicemen’s Readjustment,” became law later the same year.

Advertisements
Published in: on March 11, 2012 at 12:01 am  Leave a Comment  

The URI to TrackBack this entry is: https://alookbackatwatauga.wordpress.com/2012/03/11/the-week-of-march-11th-2012/trackback/

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s