First Public Library in Boone, North Carolina

In (belated…) observance of National Library Week (or, “to extend this glorious celebration even further”…) an offering on what was apparently Watauga County’s first public library is presented below.

Interestingly, one source (*) indicates that “very little can be found out about the beginnings of a public library in Watauga County”  before the 1930s WPA projects which constructed the “old” Watauga County building at Waters Street and Queen Street… however, this chance find in the microfilm archives of the Watauga Democrat newspaper from 1903 indicates that there were the beginnings of a public library much earlier!

First Public Library at Boone

The Public Library.

It has been our pleasure to examine the first enstallment [sic] of books for the public library at Boone, sent by sent by the Rev. W.R. Savage, of Blowing Rock. There are 122 volumes, neatly bound and are all by our choicest authors, and contain a vast amount of information that is at your disposal for the asking, for the present, at least. This is indeed a very handsome and valuable gift from Mr. Savage, and now it is the duty of our people to do all they can to carry on the work begun by this good man, by contributing as many volumes as possible to the library. Or, if you have no books to spare, place a little of the coin of the realm in the hands of the treasurer who will be appointed a little later, and it will soon make its appearance on the library shelves in the shape of good, clean literature, all of which will be elevating to the reader. For just a small contribution in either books or cash from everyone in this vicinity who should be interested, would insure us a library of 1,000 volumes or more in the near future.

For the present the library will be kept at the residence of Mrs. Alice Councill, for the convenience of Mrs. Boyden, the Librarian, but early in the spring neat rooms will be fitted up for its accommodation, which we hope will assume large proportions. The rules, regulations, etc., to govern it will be published later, but in the mean time go to work for this noble undertaking which can be made, our schools accepted, the most beneficial of anything we could possibly put within the reach of our people. Mrs. Boyden extends a general invitation to all to call and examine the books.”

From the Watauga Democrat newspaper, Thursday, Dec. 3, 1903


* The Heritage of Watauga County, North Carolina, Vol. I (1984).

Advertisements
Published in: on April 23, 2010 at 9:54 am  Leave a Comment  

A Look back at… The Blue Ridge Parkway, #2

Blue Ridge Parkway Construction, 1939

Works Projects in North Carolina, 1933-1941: Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC)
North tunnel portal from station, 1939
North Tunnel Portal from station 306 (9-16-B), Blue Ridge Parkway Construction, 1939. Non-textual Materials Unit, Negative Collection, N.91.2.12. Courtesy of the North Carolina State Archives. Retrieved via the Internet from http://www.archives.ncdcr.gov/exhibits/wpa/ccc_86_blueRidgeTunnel.htm on Friday, April 16th, 2010.

April 13, 1933

The headline “Watauga Would be Included in New Park Area” reported in this week’s edition of the Watauga Democrat newspaper that “[p]rovision for a great ‘Daniel Boone National Forest Park,’ embracing approximately 240,000 acres of land now owned by the Federal Government and located in a dozen northwestern North Carolina counties, the upper Blue Ridge area, is made in a bill introduced in the General Assembly by Representative F.H. Coffey, of Caldwell County, and placed on the calendar.” According to the article, this section of territory included “a large and scenically beautiful boundary of land, mountains, lakes, woods and waters and resorts owned by Federal and State governments and individuals” which were “more suitable for parks and forests than for agriculture.” The sponsor of the bill, Mr. Coffey, “reports that Col. W.D. Adams, Old Fort; Hugh McRae; Mr. Coffey himself and numbers of others have large acreages which they plan to turn over to the government for improvement,” and “the government is ready to begin reforestation, construction of roads and trails and making other improvements as soon as the area is embraced in the park area, as contemplated in the bill he introduced.” The proposed park area was to be “administered by the U.S. Forest Service for park and forest purposes, for tourist and recreation uses; hunting and fishing would be allowed, except in game refuges; regulated timber cutting, mining, stock grazing and shrub gathering would be permitted,” in a mixed-use arrangement. Although the proposed name “Daniel Boone National Forest “ was later used further west, the boundaries proposed by this bill did not materialized as envisioned by Representative Coffey’s bill. The concept, however, and the roads and trails proposed by this bill, may be antecedents of the creation of the Blue Ridge Parkway soon after.

March 29, 1934

“Park Committee Passes Through in Pall of Fog,” reported a front-page news story, subtitled “U.S. Officials and Others Journey Through from Roanoke to Get First Hand View of Terrain Proposed for Park Highway. Many Boone People Greet Visitors and Accompany them to Grandfather Mountain.” Perhaps not surprisingly, the “group of engineers and landscape architects sent out from Washington” to survey the proposed area for “the sixteen million dollar project, which has been approved by the Federal Government,” encountered “fog [which] was described as being so thick that only a partial view of the rugged scenery could be had from the [Blowing] Rock, and Grandfather Mountain itself for the most part was obscured.”

Other front-page news items of this week’s newspaper dealt with the ending of certain employment projects of the New Deal and the anticipated beginning of other work-creating programs. “Easter Sunday to Bring End to All CWA Employment” reported that “Easter Sunday, April 1, will mark the cessation of an emergency program through which the Roosevelt administration provided necessities of life to millions of Americans for almost a year at a cost of almost $1,000,000,000. Relief workers will no longer be Federal employees after April 1st. They will receive benefits through local sources under President Roosevelt’s new three-point long-term relief policy, which has been underwritten by Congress with a $950,000,000 appropriation.” Even as this program, the CWA (Civil Works Administration) was ending, other work projects were commencing, which would be critical to the building of the Blue Ridge Parkway and other area construction. “Must Apply for CCC by Friday” was the headline of an article announcing that “[a]ll applications for admission to the Civilian Conservation Corps camps must be in by Friday evening, according to Miss Theodosia Watson, county CWA administrator, who explains that Watauga County’s allotment is only eighteen [jobs] and that forty-three applications have already been received.” The item continues that “none who has hitherto served with the CCC need apply, and that successful applicants must of necessity be single men.” A further stipulation included that “it must be shown that applicant has needy dependents, before aid in this connection can be tendered.”

With limited employment opportunities in Watauga County and the vicinity, the ongoing planning of the Blue Ridge Parkway may have been anticipated by many families and unemployed individuals in the area as a possible source of jobs and income, even as the planning of the route and acquisition of land for the roadway transferred familial farm lands from long-held local holding over to the ownership and control of the Federal Government.

Published in: on April 16, 2010 at 8:57 am  Comments (4)